Wednesday, August 31, 2011

August 2011 Y's Words

I have been blessed, and I am excited to give back to the community through service to ywca. I have a political science background, experience as congressional staff, communications and public relations skills, and experience in political party leadership. I have legislative advocacy and campaign experience as well. I look forward to using all my skills and contacts to be an effective legislative advocate and strong voice of support for the programs and employees of this outstanding organization. Recently, I joined the Public Policy Committee and was asked to help on behalf of the CASA program.

Nationally, the CASA program suffered cuts of approximately 17% in the FY 2011 Justice Department budget which impacts 2,500 to 2,900 vulnerable children in need of advocacy. As a ywca clark county board member, I attended Rep. Herrera Beutler’s town hall meeting to voice my support for restoring the CASA funding back to $15 million for the FY 2012 budget.  I spoke with her district director and I also took the time to write to Rep. Herrera Beutler’s office as well. I hope that others will join in support of the CASA Program and all the programs of ywca clark county by assisting with efforts to engage the state and federal legislators at every opportunity.

I take my involvement at ywca clark county very personally. You wouldn’t know it to look at me, but I was molested twice by the time I was eight years old.  Fortunately, I had a wonderful family support system and was able to put the incidents behind me and create a happy and successful life.  However, many others are not as fortunate.  As a survivor and as someone who has the ability and time, I see serving on the board not only as a personal responsibility, but also as a tremendous honor.  I am continually humbled by the commitment, dedication, and compassion demonstrated by the management, staff, board, supporters, and donors of ywca.  As you read this newsletter, I hope you enjoy learning about the programs and events, and that you are inspired to apply your talents, efforts, and resources in support of ywca clark county.

-Dena Horton, ywca board member

No comments:

Post a Comment